ASIS&T is an international professional organization with over 4000 members world-wide who study and work in the information sciences. Members are librarians, academics, computer scientists, linguists, engineers, and scientists of all kinds whose practices involve the organization, retrieval, analysis, or management of information.
As the SJSU Student Chapter of ASIS&T, we strive to provide our members with frequent opportunities to connect to one another and to professionals in our chosen fields. We host speakers and events on a wide variety of topics of current interest to our peers, and we are always looking for new ways to connect and practice our professional and academic skills.
Who we are…
Since 1937, the Association for Information Science and Technology (ASIS&T) has been the association for information professionals leading the search for new and better theories, techniques, and technologies to improve access to and management of information.
Student Chapters are especially adept at bringing together students to assist them in their professional growth and career development.
How you benefit…
The ASIS&T Student Chapter at SJSU provides you with as many opportunities as possible to support your professional development in a supportive and encouraging environment, including:
- Developing leadership skills by serving in an officer position, participating on a committee, and/or volunteering for special projects.
- Presenting an informal or formal talk at one of our business meetings or programs.
- Getting published on our blog.
- Learning new skills related to information science and technology by attending one of our events led by SLIS faculty, faculty from other universities, fellow ASIS&T student members.
- Connecting with like-minded students attending SLIS and other universities.
Your benefits also include the following, courtesy of ASIS&T:
- Bulletin subscription, a bi-monthly news magazine packed with information on issues affecting the field.
- Journal of the American Society for Information Science & Technology subscription, a fully refereed scholarly and technical periodical.
- JobLine, a searchable listing of current career opportunities.
- Placement Center access, a matchmaking service for jobseekers and employers at annual conferences.
- Membership in the local ASIS&T chapter, one Special Interest Group (SIG), and $10 for as many additional SIGs as you wish.
- Right to vote and hold office in ASIS&T.
- Access to all ASIS&T group discount programs.
- Significantly reduced registration fees for conferences, summits, and continuing education seminars.
- Valuable discounts on all ASIS&T publications.