iSchool students! Banned Books Week is Sept. 24-30! During that week, ALA will host the Rebel Reader Twitter Tournament. Complete action items on Twitter using the hashtag #RebelReader to be entered into a drawing to win literary prizes! Feel free to tweet @ ALASC SJSU as well!
Here’s how to participate in the drawing (taken from ALA.org):
- Take a selfie with a banned or challenged book.
- Share a video of yourself talking about censorship or reading from a banned or challenged book
- Post a quote from a favorite banned or challenged book
- Share a story about an educator who helped you learn the power of words
- Take a photo of a completed ALA Banned Books Week coloring sheet. There are two choices: Words Have Power and Bad Kitty Reads Banned Books!
- Take a photo of yourself with any Words Have Power swag
- Share a link to your local library’s homepage or book selection policy
- Tweet some love at a banned author from this list: twitter.com/OIF/lists/banned-authors/members
To make things more fun, we suggest that you perform these action items with your family! Have your child color the coloring sheet, discuss a banned book with your spouse in the video, or take a photo with you and your family members holding a variety of banned books!
During Banned Books Week, one winner will be announced each day on Twitter at 4 p.m. Central time. Winners will get a tote bag with various goodies such as cups, pens, and books!
For contest rules and more information, please visit http://www.ala.org/advocacy/bbooks/bannedbooksweek/rebelreader
Here is a list of frequently challenged books to get you started.