This year from September 22-September 28, we demonstrate our support for free speech throughout the US and around the world, by participating in a Virtual Read Outs for banned and challenged books.
ALASC and SLIS of San Jose State University invite you all to attend our Virtual Read Out! September 27, 2013 we will be hosting a Banned Books Read Out from 3:00 – 6:00pm. This event brings together a world of readers and supporters; from librarians, publishers, booksellers, teachers, and readers from all walks of life.
Tip for SLIS Students: this is a GREAT way to also earn evidence for Comp A!
To participate in our Virtual Read Out:
- Choose your favorite challenged/banned book
- Sign Up Online! for a time slot for your read out (each participant will be given 8 minutes)
- Read one of your favorite passages from the book
- Discuss why the book was banned/challenged
- Discuss what it means to you and how you would feel if someone prevented you from reading it.
Note: all SLIS students and alumni are welcome to participate – as a reader or just by listening in – during the live session.
Link to participate in the Banned Books Week Virtual Read out on Friday, September 27: https://sas.elluminate.com/d.jnlp?sid=2011274&password=D.76D8EECFF548B38E1596C90BF6860F
The session will be recorded and available for listening to later or saving as e-port evidence.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Virtual Events Coordinator